Sunday, 14 July 2013

Attempt no. #4673?

#4673. That is whereabouts I would put the number of times I have tried to, very vaguely, "get fit".

Why is it so difficult? Because it is vague. When it is nebulous, it can be made small enough in your mind to trick you into committing to goals that are too large and unrealistic, making you feel stupid for trying when you fail (cue collective sigh: 'I was silly to think that I could be in that fitness club like the people I see jogging'). When it is nebulous, it can be made gigantic and large enough in your mind to intimidate you away from taking those first baby steps or from having patience with your incremental progress.

So what I will do is reduce it. Reduce the goal to four weeks. Reduce the day to day one, the week to week one. Sure, I do want that vague goal of being supremely-Lara Croft-fit. This may mean that I do not know or understand what I want but I can not let go of it. So I will re-characterise my fitness into one day at a time. And yes, go me! For my herculean effort at getting up this ridiculously cold morning and running about in a chill that had my breathing constricting. And let's see if this effort can help me keep to my plans for four weeks. Week one shall be easy(ish), I am on holiday. Week two is when university and the real challenge begins.

All the thoughts that run through one's head as one pads through their jogger's route. 'Was it always this difficult, am I really this unfit?' 'I feel so inferior for not progressing beyond this after so many years,' ' This effort is so small it will not help me achieve my fitness goals,' PAH. You got to ignore them. Get them out of you. So I will regurgitate them here. I have before had that tremendous calm and peace that can pass over you when you are running; how much your body hurts, how long you have been out or how long you go doesn't matter. You do not register the time, where you are. I look forward to that feeling again.


No comments:

Post a Comment