Monday, 17 June 2013

Exercise for today

40 minutes light cycling
                When I say light, I really mean light. I’m only going from AàB, other cyclists would laugh at me wearing my sunnies and listening to BBC Documentaries on my IPod (not safe folks!)

30 minutes medium run; cross country + road, hills
                First run in a looong time. I have a number of runs in my repertoire and since this is my first solid attempt getting back into fitness I started with my easiest, it totals a little under 4.5 km. Even so, all those people who have tried running after not doing it before know what I am talking about when I say I felt like a sluggish giant mass of a thing that was not meant to move. I got all wheezy and puffy and my breathing must have concerned those I ran past. The grass I ran on was muddy and I had to be un-athletic and take it slow so I wouldn't trip up as I went up and down the mountain. Not to mention having to run through a rather ominous looking bunch of cows laying across the path at the summit….

The worst feeling though is when you can feel every morsel of food you have eaten that day moving in your tummy, every coffee you have had seems up at your throat. And as it all juggles up and down all you can do is scream in your mind ‘Why! Why the second latte! I know I was proud of my new-found barista abilities but two lattes?! Nobody can drink two lattes!’

                OK so the video is a little short of thirty minutes and each second of the video may not be actual exercise but at least I did it! Let me tell you, having done some of Cassie’s videos before you learn to be terrified and steer clear of anything longer than ten minutes because that girl will work you hard. She is great though, I have never been able to commit to doing her full monthly workout calendars (an hour of Pilates a day I think is too much for me given how I want to focus so much on cardio) BUT she very considerately put a beginner’s calendar up which I shall endeavour to follow.
                http://www.blogilates.com/beginners

My exercises
These I do to:
  • To cool down
  • To make sure that I can target any muscles that are a priority for me but I may now have hit hard enough.
  • To make sure I can do the Fitness staples (I don’t think that phrase is a thing, but it makes sense – push ups and sit ups are pretty universal)

Strength:             Five minutes:
                                20 on-knee push ups      10 on-knee triceps push ups
                                1 minute plank                  20 crunches
                                15 jumping squats
Flexibility:            Five minute leg flexibility stretching


Tara Stiles is another Vlogging fitness goddess. A very different approach from the aforementioned Cassie. I would love to be more into yoga (I think I have romantic views of it) so am trying to do her beginner videos so eventually I can do this! à


At the moment I question the intensity and effectiveness of what I have done, it just seems that online there are either basic beginner breathing focused videos that can put you to sleep if you are not careful OR intense crazy advanced videos featuring the poses like the one to the left. But perhaps if I am patient I will get there too…

                               


No comments:

Post a Comment